Thursday, April 4, 2013

Flood of ‘94

In the beginning of July 1994, there was a flood in the central Georgia area. Some areas in georgia received 21 inches of rain. The levees of the Ocmulgee River breached and caused a lot of damage to the area. The flood ended up causing 18 people to lose their life. The flood also caused both interstates 75 and 16 to be closed off which had never happened before. The flood became known as the “killer flood” and Georgia had never seen anything like it. Statewide damage was estimated to be $58 million dollars not including business and residential damages.



In 1994 I lived in Warner Robins, Ga. I was only 2 years old but I remember hearing stories about the flood long after it happened. My parents said they took me to see the river a day before it flooded. Thankfully my house was not harmed by the flood. 


No comments:

Post a Comment